Several of my dear friends have been struggling with the very real and insidious satanic snare of:
- self pity - look at how terrible my circumstances are!
- pride - these circumstances should not be happening to me!
The trick of Satan is to mask his role in promoting these depressing and self-righteous feelings! Instead, we think they are OUR true assessment of reality.
One friend is struggling with her marriage and wishing it were otherwise.
The other friend is struggling with his vocation and wishing it were otherwise.
Who can rescue them (and us when we are so attacked) from this downward spiral that seems unending?
Thank God that He exists and has come that we might have life.
The other day I, TOO, felt that descent into murky grayness as I was meditating on some difficult circumstances. But before I hit dark despair, the Holy Spirit brought to mind God’s promise in Romans 8:28:
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Then I recalled
- the FACT that God is sovereignly controlling all my circumstances
- the FACT that God is always doing 10,000 plus things in every circumstance that touches me
- the FACT that God predestined me to work, to help, to pray, to give, to worship, to trust in activities and projects of His own choosing
- the FACT that God chose to give me life today for His purposes
- the FACT that I can trust God of all ‘people’ to be consistent and true to His Word
All those thoughts got my mind OFF of my circumstance and reversed the trend of my feelings.
So dear friends, I am praying that the Holy Spirit will remind you hourly:
- that you can trust God
- that God is close to the broken-hearted
- that He is allowing this circumstance, at the moment, because He has good in mind for you, for those involved and others about whose situation you might not know
So……relax, trust and remember how He has come through in the past and what He promises for your future.